Create a custom Bandana with Artesprix Sublimation Markers
Fun & Easy Sublimation Pet Bandana Project with Artesprix Markers!
Hi guys! Lisa here, and with this DIY Artesprix Pet Bandana, man’s best friend will go from cute to totally irresistible in seconds flat. The best part is how easy it is to create from scratch using Artesprix Sublimation Markers.
I love getting crafty with Artesprix Sublimation Markers so when some friends adopted a new puppy, I knew just what to give them. Their puppy was alrady adorable but a fun Artesprix Pet Bandana would take that cuteness to a whole new level!
Really I just wanted to go over and play with their new puppy but I’ll also jump at any excuse to get a little crafty. There are so many things you can make with Artesprix markers and I’ve designed everything from tote bags to grilling aprons. I hadn’t made Artesprix Pet Bandana yet and this was perfect timing!
What Are Artesprix Sublimation Markers?
Artesprix Markers are a really fun way to let your creative side shine. They work with heat, making it easy to transfer drawings from regular copy paper to a variety of surfaces including wood, metal and fabric. Though they work best on polyester, there are ways of getting around that so that you can use other fabrics as well.
Ready to try them for yourself? Let’s get started on our Artesprix Pet Bandana. Here’s what you’ll need…
- Artesprix Sublimation Markers
- Polyester Pet Bandana
- Plain Copy Paper
- Artesprix Heat Tape
- Artesprix Protective Paper
How To Make A DIY Dog Bandana
- First, you’ll need a design. You can create your own if you have something special in mind. Just draw your design on regular paper, mirroring any text. You can also make a design with an electronic cutting machine. I love using my Silhouette Cameo for projects like this because the designs come out much more precisely than if drew them by hand. As soon as I saw this adorable “puppy love” design, I knew it would be perfect.
I didn’t love the color but that wasn’t important…I was just using it for the outline. One of the great things about Artesprix Markers is that as long as I have the special adapter set, I can use them with my Cameo. If this is what you plan to do, you’ll want to use the gray adapter.
2. Place the marker into the Cameo and send your design. Remember to mirror the image first, especially if there’s text.
3. Now, for the best part…coloring your design. Artesprix Markers come in so many pretty colors that I ended up using markers from several different sets. I used pink, orange, and red from the Primary Set but also used mustard seed, almond, and bark from the Gnomie Botanicals. For the blue, I really liked the softness of the sky color from the Pastel set.
4. When designing, cut the extra paper surrounding it and used heat transfer tape to tape the image to the bandana. Don’t cut the paper too close because you don’t want the tape to overlap with your image. If that happens, the covered area won’t transfer.
5. Set your heat source to 400°. If you’re using a dry iron, you’ll want to set it to linen or the highest setting. You can also use a home iron but just be careful because the holes in the bottom won’t allow heat to pass through as evenly.
As I waited for my Artesprix heat press to get hot, I grabbed some Artesprix protective paper and tore off two pieces, each slightly larger than the design.
6. Before applying the heat, you’ll need to make a “sublimation sandwich”. Place the dog bandana between two sheets of protective paper, with the ink side on top.
7. Set the timer for 30 seconds and close the heat press.When you hear the beep, carefully remove the bandana and let it cool on a project mat. Since this is fabric, it’ll cool pretty quickly. When it’s cool to the touch, slowly peel back the paper to reveal the design.
8. This is my absolute favorite part of the whole process! I love seeing how the heat works with the Artesprix Markers to create such bright, vivid designs!
9. How adorable is this DIY dog bandana? My daughter insisted that we try it out on her “puppy” first!
The “puppy love” theme is cute but you can make them for any occasion. Decorate them with your dog’s name, your favorite football team’s logo or even use them as a fun way to announce something special. With your Artesprix Sublimation Markers, the sky’s the limit!
What would you make with Artesprix Sublimation Markers?
If you loved this Pet Bandana Project, be sure to check out Ivy’s amazing Artesprix Key Chain Project that is also live on the blog.